Never keep all your eggs in one basket. This is a timeless adage that applies to nearly anything, not least of which are your investments and exchange traded funds (ETFs). One way to get diversification is by stocking up on non-correlating assets.
Diversification is one way to reduce risk while optimizing overall returns, and finding non-correlating assets is key to diversification, remarks Gary Gordon for ETF Expert. By reducing risk, an investor should consider a mix of low-correlating assets and some developed market funds.
Most developed markets indexes move in unison with another. Some examples include:
* S&P 500 SPDR Trust (SPY): up 5.9% year-to-date
* iShares S&P Small Cap 600 (IJT): up 7.8% year-to-date
* iShares Global 100 (IOO): up 4.6% year-to-date
* Japan’s iShares MSCI Tokusai Index (TOK): up 9.9% year-to-date
Foreign fixed income, natural resource, commodity, energy, emerging market, currency, and precious metal stocks all had smaller correlations to broad market developed stock funds. Related ETFs include:
* SPDR Lehman International Treasury Bond ETF (BWX): up 1% year-to-date
* iShares Natural Resources Fund (IGE): up 23.9% year-to-date
* iShares Dow Jones-AIG Commodity Index ETN (DJP): up 11% year-to-date
* Alerian MLP ETN (BSR): up 26.2% year-to-date
* iShares Emerging Market Fund (EEM): up 36.7% year-to-date
* Powershares Precious Metals (DBP): up 16.1% year-to-date
Finding non-correlating assets is just one piece of the overall puzzle.When looking into the broad market or specific sectors, a savvy investor should have a strategy in place. Take a look at our investing strategy to get a sense of things.
Disclosure I am long SPY,IJT,DJP and EEM.
Consumer-Goods Basic-Materials ETF'S Services Industrial-Goods Black Gold(OIL) Technology Bonds Links Financial Dividend-Increasers Emerging Markets Commodities HealthCare Inflation IRA Large Cap Shipping Utilities Cefs Small Caps Fees Monthly Dividend Reits Currency 8%+ Dividend Food Fixed Income Agricultural Precious metals Dividend Declared Insurance Earnings Miss Earnings Surprise Silver Insider Buying MLP'S Stock Splits 2 - 5% Dividend Tips For NEW Investors Banks Global etfs Aerospace Computers Index Funds Preferred Stocks New ETFS Ultrashort Etfs Asset Management Chemicals Hedged Etfs 5-8% Dividend Bio-Tech Build America Bonds ETN'S Investment Brokerage Semiconductors Steel Bad Picks Dividend Cut Mortgage Retail Special Dividend 10+++% Dividend 2 - 5% dividend Audio Podcasts Bankruptcy Diversified Investments Dividend Axed Equity Offering Natural Gas Office